Hot Stone Massage ~ intense relaxation
Hot Stone Massage can be traced back over 2000yrs and has been practised by many different cultures all over the world. These include Native American women using them as we would hot water bottles for warmth, to Japanese priests using them in amongst their clothes to assist digestion! The stones themselves are natural basalt volcanic rocks and so absorb and retain heat when placed in hot water.
This is what a Hot Stone Massage involves;
The stones are used by the therapist as an extension of their hands to do the normal massage techniques, resulting in a more intense treatment that is extremely relaxing and immensely enjoyable. The treatment is similar to an ordinary massage, you simply decide if you want to indulge your whole body or just perhaps the back, neck and shoulders. The treatment will be conducted with you lying on the massage couch and only the part of the body being massaged will be uncovered at any one time. Oils will be used together with the hot stones.
Benefits to your body;
- Deep relaxation, physically and mentally Improved circulation of blood to the muscles
- Elimination of toxins and waste is speeded up
- Tight muscles are loosened and become more flexible
- Reduction in stress, anxiety, tension and depression
- Heat from the stone reaches deeper into the muscle
- Assists muscular aches, pains and strains
- Rheumatic and arthritic conditions
- Eases back pain